The Classroom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Classroom

Forum for the sixth grade of Fort River.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Story for school

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred
Admin
Fred

Story for school Empty
PostSubject: Story for school   Story for school EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 6:11 pm

The sun was setting behind the hills in the distance, turning the clouds above it a pale pink color. It would have seemed beautiful if it hadn’t been clouded over in a cloud of dust, which slowly drifted up from the red bricks being stacked together by a loud, growling machine. I watch from a small hill, looking out through the branches of a bush at the edge of the forest, hating the machines for what they are doing to me.
I turn my head away, and close my eyes, not able to bear the pain of watching the forest, my home, being destroyed. When I’m facing the forest, I can almost pretend that none of that is happening. I can almost pretend that the prey was never scared off by those machines, and their owners, and that I could go into that forest whenever I wanted and catch a rabbit or two to eat. But that isn’t true. I almost have to cry out as my stomach throbs with pain from hunger.
Before the humans came with their machines, I would sleep all night, and hunt in the day, when the sun shone down on the forest, and created thin shadows where the trees blocked the suns rays, where I could hide and jump out at prey. But now that they are here, I try to avoid them as much as I can. I wake up at evening, when they are just getting ready to leave, and by the time they come at dawn, I am already fast asleep. I hunt in the darkness now. At least, I try to hunt. All there is left to eat here now is insects, and those don’t fill me up very much.
I sigh and slowly rise. I might as well go try to find something to eat. As soon as I’m in the forest, I can feel the emptiness. I’m more alone than I ever have been. The trees still smell fresh and alive, waving their leaves at each other as if they’re talking, in a language I can’t understand. In a way it feels worse than being alone, knowing that there are other things alive in this forest, but they are ignoring me. I look up in the black night sky. There is a full moon tonight. The soft white light is filtered by the tall trees’ leaves, making the forest have an eerie feeling. I keep walking, not even trying to hunt anymore, just trying to prove to myself that I haven’t given up yet.
I jump as I hear a voice, strong and clear, echoing in the forest.
“Stop.”
I freeze. Is this my imagination? I sniff deeply, and smell the scent of another fox. I should have picked up the scent a long time ago, but I was too busy concentrating on making my feet keep moving.
“Who’s there?” I ask, keeping my feet in place, trying to be brave. I had thought that when I heard the voice of another animal I would have been happy, but right now I’m too busy wondering who this is and what they want from me to think about being happy.
A fox emerges from the shadow of an oak tree. His fur is dark brown, with other shades of brown and grey mixed in, and his eyes are deep amber, and looking at me. I can see that he is a male. Maybe he’s trying to find a female to mate with. I don’t see why he would be worrying about that though, when he must be starving as much as I am.
“You were about to walk into a trap.” He said. “The humans set them here to catch foxes. They don’t have any fur, so they have to steal it from us.” He flicked his tail a few steps ahead of me, and even in the dim light, I can see something shiny half buried in the ground. I shudder. If I had just taken a few more steps, I would have run into it.
“Thanks.” I say. I still feel a little cautious of him, even if he just saved my life. I look at him closer. His body is thin, and his ribs are showing. Neither of us talk for awhile, just look at each other, not knowing what to say. My throat is dry, and I realize I haven’t drunk anything all day, as well as not eating.
“I’m going to the stream.” I say, glancing at him. I wonder what he will say, or if he’ll want to come with me, but he just nods and keeps looking at me. I start walking off towards the stream, looking back one time, but he is just standing staring at the spot where I was standing before.
I can hear the water before I see it. The sound of rushing water makes me smile. I step out from behind a bush and stand on the rocks at the edge of the stream, drinking some water. It’s freezing as it slips down my throat, and it refreshes me, making me not feel quite so bad. I stand there, watching at the water jump off rocks and twist its way down through the forest.
Time slips by, and by the time I blink my eyes and look around again, I don’t know how long I’ve been waiting there. I look across the stream into the woods beyond it, thinking that maybe that forest is better than here. That maybe there is food there. But I know that if I went over there, it would be no different than here. I sigh, and turn around to go back into the forest.
I jump back as I see two amber eyes staring at me through a bush. It steps out and looks at the ground, not making eye contact with me. It’s the fox I met earlier.
“What are you doing here?” I asked him. I wonder how long he had been watching me.
“I just came to drink from the stream. I didn’t think you would still be here.” He said, looking up at me. He slowly walked to the edge of the stream, looking up at me with an expression I couldn’t figure out. He either wanted me to stay here or wanted me to leave, but I didn’t know which. I didn’t look at him as he drank, just stared at the ground, not thinking about anything except how empty my stomach felt. When he was done drinking, I glanced at him from the corner of my eye. He took a step toward me and opened his mouth as if he was going to say something, then changed his mind and closed it again. I turned my head toward him.
“What were you going to say?” I asked him. He looked up at me.
“Well, I just thought…” he hesitated. “Well, since we’re both kind of lonely¬, at least I am, maybe we can...” he looked up at me. “Stay together.” He had a kind of worried expression on his face.
“All right.” I said, thinking that maybe if we stay together we could hunt better. He smiled. “Do you want to try finding something to eat?” I asked.
“Ok.” He said. Since I had already looked so much in this forest, I decided to try across the stream. I put my front legs into the water first. The current brushed the fur away from my skin, and I shivered. I take another step in. The water isn’t too deep, but it reaches up to my chest. I started to think that maybe crossing the stream was a bad idea. If I get too wet and can’t get myself dried off again, I’ll get sick. It was too late too go back now though. I was in the middle of the stream and I might as well finish crossing. I have to struggle to keep myself from getting pulled downstream. Finally, I grabbed onto the rocks on the other side of the bank and pulled myself up. Then I turned back to the other fox.
“You can come across now.” I said. He looked at me, and I realized I could be getting him sick by making him do this. But he got in the stream and waded across. When he got out he shook his body to try to get the water off, but I could tell he was still cold.
I sniffed the air, but caught no scent of prey. I also looked at the ground for tracks. There weren’t any. I sighed.
“Maybe we should try to get some insects to eat.” I said. “I think there are some near where the humans are.” I didn’t like to be near the human place, but it was better than dying of starvation. The other fox shook his head.
“Insects won’t help.” He sighed. “We need to find real food.” I nodded.
“I know.” I said, “But there isn’t any.” I couldn’t stand this any more. I couldn’t stand this pain in my stomach that wouldn’t go away. I couldn’t stand knowing that there wasn’t anything to eat anymore. I couldn’t stand knowing that I was probably going to die.
“Are you all right?” I heard a voice say. I realized I’ve been staring at the ground for a while.
“I’m fine.” I said. I tried to smile, but I knew it looked fake. I started walking away from him into the forest. I could sense him following behind me. The wind ran through my fur, smoothing it against my body. Time seemed to go by with the wind, flying through the air with nothing stopping it. I don’t know how long I walked, but when I stopped my legs ached and my vision was blurry. I had to lie down. I tried desperately not to fall asleep as I lay on the ground with my eyes closed. I could see colors in my closed eyes, dots of blue and yellow, red and green.
Back to top Go down
https://sixthgrade.forumotion.com
Gina4

Gina4

Story for school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story for school   Story for school EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 1:34 pm

cool. i didnt read it but cool.
Back to top Go down
Rebecca
Rebecca

Story for school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story for school   Story for school EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 4:50 pm

thats ??????? confused Sleep No
Back to top Go down
http://rebecca7hop@comcast.net
Sponsored content

Story for school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story for school   Story for school Empty

Back to top Go down

Story for school
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Classroom :: Art/ writing-
Jump to: